Software doesn’t flourish in isolation and neither does a creative mind.
Participating in the larger community of software engineers around you provides multiple benefits such as: learning, friendship, job opportunities and skills development by sharing your own projects and experiences.
Microsoft South Africa hosts a free community night every 2nd Tuesday of the month in Johannesburg, South Africa and below are the user groups with links to more information that are hosted (I’ve dated this article 2019 in case the groups change in the coming years).
In no particular order:
- Johannesburg Azure User Group – Discussing technical or business topics related to Microsoft Azure
- Developer User Group @DeveloperUG – Who love all things developer.
- Johannesburg Office 365 User Group – Learning & sharing their experiences with Office 365 and supporting technologies
- Johannesburg School of AI – Offering world-class AI education to anyone on Earth
- Johannesburg SQL User Group – Created to give the MS SQL server community an opportunity to get together
- Johannesburg PowerApps & Flow User Group – Sharing & building experience on these highly exciting platforms
- Johannesburg MS Developer User Group @jhbmsdug – Your local developer community for Microsoft technologies & member of the .NET Foundation
- Make Games South Africa @MakeGamesSA – Sharing experience creating games, art & sound design
If you’re not in Johannesburg I still highly encourage you to seek out your local communities and at least sit in the back and listen-in to the proceedings.